Curriculum Area: Geography
Brief Steps in Presentation:
1. Place mat on floor.
2. Explain that these animals are from Australia.
3. Pick up picture of animal
4. Say the name of the animal
5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 until all pictures are laid out on mat
6. Pick up first animal figure
7. Say the name of the animal
8. Match the animal to the appropriate photo
9. Place animal below the photo.
10. Repeat steps 8 & 9 until all animals are laid out on mat
Variations/Extensions: Use a different continent
Laura used natural materials such as a wooden tray, a basket, and a woven mat. Her photos were clear and the picture cards realistic. Plus, the animal figures matched the pictures very well. The placement of the cards and figures were in a proper left-to-right order on the tray. She also used a "Montessori-friendly" font for easy letter recognition. Well done, Laura...this activity looks attractive and inviting!